In 2019, as a part of the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, Alexandre Compabilité Spécialisé Ltée hosted remote free tax clinics where volunteers prepared tax returns for eligible people.
A free tax clinic is a place where eligible people who have a modest income and a simple tax situation can go to get their tax returns done for free.
2019 was a milestone for both Community Volunteer Income Tax Program and Alexandre Comptabilité Spécialisé Ltée; the first one turned 30, and the second one was incorporated as sole proprietorship practice established in 2004 has grown to a recognizable community member.
For the first time in its history of the practice, Alexandre Comptabilité Spécialisé Ltée registered for, organized, recruited volunteers, and operated a free tax clinic for individuals living in Ottawa-Gatineau region.
As a result, many individuals remained eligible for various social assistance programs, such as education aid or social support, to name a few.
Use the following form to obtain taxpayer(s) key information.
Vera Crypt and How to secure Taxpayer Data Instructions
This post will help to set-up secured environment for digital files containing confidential information.
1. Power-up File Encryption with VeraCrypt
To set-up an encrypted environment, we will use VeraCrypt encryption software. It can be downloaded from this location. Once VeraCrypt was installed, and the encrypted file container was set-up, follow these steps:
- Insert USB Key dedicated for storing taxpayers’ files with encrypted file container saved on it.
- Start VeraCrypt program (Double Click on Vera Crypt icon on your desktop).
You should now see VeraCrypt program open.
- Click on Select File button. It will get you to Open File dialogue. Browse to your CVITP dedicated USB key.
- Click on CVITP (E) USB key drive, and select the CVITP Tax Returns encrypted file container.
- Click Open
At this point, the path to the encrypted file should be visible in drop-down list. Next step is to select the drive letter under which the encrypted file will be mounted.
In the Volumes List, select the drive letter to use for mounting encrypted file. For example, let’s select drive H:
- Select Drive “ H “
- Click Mount button to mount selected encrypted file container
- Enter the Password, and click OK
It can take several seconds to mount encrypted file container. Once process finishes, the encrypted file container should be mounted under Drive H: This drive H: will be destination for storing taxpayers files.
To access encrypted drive H: do the following steps:
- Open the File Explorer
- Select My PC, click on down arrow to populate all folders and drives. Down this list locate an item that says Local Disk H:
- Click on drive H:, and you should see the files and folders encrypted on it.
We will store taxpayers files in a folder CVITP 2018. Create this folder if it doesn’t not exist yet.
2. Tax Software and Taxpayer’s File
To be added ...
Credits: John MacMillan for compiling initial list of instructions.