Use the following form to obtain taxpayer(s) key information.
Vera Crypt and How to secure Taxpayer Data Instructions
This post will help to set-up secured environment for digital files containing confidential information.
1. Power-up File Encryption with VeraCrypt
To set-up an encrypted environment, we will use VeraCrypt encryption software. It can be downloaded from this location. Once VeraCrypt was installed, and the encrypted file container was set-up, follow these steps:
- Insert USB Key dedicated for storing taxpayers’ files with encrypted file container saved on it.
- Start VeraCrypt program (Double Click on Vera Crypt icon on your desktop).
You should now see VeraCrypt program open.
- Click on Select File button. It will get you to Open File dialogue. Browse to your CVITP dedicated USB key.
- Click on CVITP (E) USB key drive, and select the CVITP Tax Returns encrypted file container.
- Click Open
At this point, the path to the encrypted file should be visible in drop-down list. Next step is to select the drive letter under which the encrypted file will be mounted.
In the Volumes List, select the drive letter to use for mounting encrypted file. For example, let’s select drive H:
- Select Drive “ H “
- Click Mount button to mount selected encrypted file container
- Enter the Password, and click OK
It can take several seconds to mount encrypted file container. Once process finishes, the encrypted file container should be mounted under Drive H: This drive H: will be destination for storing taxpayers files.
To access encrypted drive H: do the following steps:
- Open the File Explorer
- Select My PC, click on down arrow to populate all folders and drives. Down this list locate an item that says Local Disk H:
- Click on drive H
: ,and you should see the files and folders encrypted on it.
We will store taxpayers files in a folder CVITP 2018. Create this folder if it doesn’t not exist yet.
2. Tax Software and Taxpayer’s File
To be added ...
Credits: John MacMillan for compiling initial list of instructions.
As a volunteer with the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, you agree to:
- protect the taxpayer’s privacy by never using or divulging any information provided by the taxpayer for any purpose other than the preparation of his or her income tax and benefit return;
- offer my services free of charge and decline any monetary reward that may be offered to me;
- return the completed income tax and benefit return to the taxpayer directly, or to the community organization;
- not keep any copies of a taxpayer’s income tax and benefit return (paper or electronic);
- have the taxpayer sign Form TIS60, Community Volunteer Income Tax Program – Taxpayer Authorization and return it to the taxpayer;
- only use the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program tax software to prepare returns for eligible taxpayers;
- not use the tax software for monetary gain;
- not copy or allow copies to be made of the tax software;
- encrypt taxpayers’ returns using the tax software and save electronic copies only on an encrypted USB flash drive, and transmit the return to the Canada Revenue Agency within 48 hours of preparation;
- delete all electronic copies of the taxpayer’s return, no later than 48 hours after its transmission to and acceptance by the Canada Revenue Agency;
- allow the CVITP to share my contact information and registration approval with my affiliated community organization(s), or with other CVITP community organizations in my area if I require assistance to become affiliated; and
- allow the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program to make sure that I meet the security requirements to become a volunteer.